Ab. Environment is 'ramping' the flows to produce a progressive cut-back from the St. Mary Dam. With OK weather forecast for tomorrow (Thurs.) we're hoping to go surfing in the short Rain Wave reach of the Lower St. Mary. Probably the full Hairpin Run on Saturday.
If begginers are interested I may be going for a short flat paddle on Saturday morning before the afternoon clouds roll in. It will either be in the park (1 hour) or part of the Waterton (4 hours).There is also a chance I will run Cameron or something if anyone is interested.
Hey chris, what's the scenery like on the paddle? If it's nice i might be down for something like that
I would be in for the Thursday short paddle (Stew, give me a call 3 3 0 - 8 8 1 8)and the long run on the Saturday. As well, I am planning on heading out on the Lower Friday around 5pm if anyone is interested. I would like at least 3 for the Friday trip.
Mark I am good to go. I am done work at 4. so anytime after that I am there
I wouldn't mind getting on Lower St again. Could you let me know a few of the particulars, Mark (where and when to meet)? Last time I went, Chris asked me to meet him at the first turn-off South of the windmills at Magrath. Do you want me there at 5 pm?
Looks like I am ditching things and hooking up with Spencer and the Calgary crew for a boundary creek pounding. Not sure which day though. The rest of the time will be spent on cabinets.
Good luck on the cabinets, Chris. Make sure and post some good pics of Boundary.
Sounds good Nathan. We'll meet you at that intersection at 5pm
Are people still running the lower st.mary on saturday? If so, what time?I'll be floating the short rain wave section tomorrow morning/early afternoon or maybe the full run incl. hairpin if there are some boaters around.cheers,dave roscoe
Irene and Eric reported an excellent paddle on the Lower St. Mary today and Di and I will head out with them tomorrow. Warm weather is forecast and flow is still reasonable. We're planning a family and friends float in which I'll bring our kids in our raft and we'll pull over at surf spots and rapids. With the raft, we'll float down to the Welling Ford and will bring along a cooler for food and cold drinks during the flatwater float out.Dave - you're most welcome to join us in the raft for flatwater sections.We should have room for a couple/few more raft riders if some of you paddlers have partners or friends who you'd like to bring along for the river trip. Contact us in the morning, if interested (320-9601).We'll probably head out about 11.
Mark, Nathon, and Janson going for the put in.
Another play holeWe had another excellent paddle on the Lower St. Mary yesterday and with the raft float, we put in upstream of the standard Rain-Wave, walk-down put-in. We saw a very promising looking wave/hole feature a couple hundred m upstream from that normal put-in.To get to it, instead of sliding down the hill to the right, walk further along the cliff ridge and then slide down to the left, or alternately walk straight ahead right to the hole. It looks promising for surfing, spins, ends or whatever (tricks we don't even know the names of or have any clue about how to do them).Perhaps worthy of a test paddle Monday evening?P.S. - Janson, we didn't see a yellow kayak in our travels.
I know this is too early to post in here. But just wondering if anyone is free to go paddling in the Waterton area the day of July 1?I'll be free from 10-4 pm. I'm thinking of Upper Castle, Mt Blakiston, etc. Here's my # 403-383-7457.
Stew and Di, are you heading out Monday evening?
Lower St was a little on the low side (under 35 cms) this afternoon. I did the short run and had a hard time sticking in any of the waves. A couple of wave holes held me for a short while, but the paddle was still scenic and relaxing. It was a thirty minute hike for the same length of paddle without any waves to play in... it would be a longer paddle and much more worth the walk with higher water. I might hit it again tomorrow afternoon anywho (being only 10 minutes from work and on the way home).
Anyone thinking about a paddle late friday afternoon?
Darren and I are paddling the Upper Castle Sat July 1st at 9:30 am. Interested? If so, e-mail me at email@example.com or call 403-383-7457Best wishes,LindaCalgary
Smith Brothers and family are headed out to Cottonwood Campground just below Oldman River Dam for the weekend (my wife is a week away from having a baby, so I hope all works out... she's definately a trooper). We plan on hitting runs like Castle, Crowsnest (below Lundbreck), and the Oldman. We are having trouble making any specific paddling plans, but if anyone else is planning to paddle any of that area, leave a comment with details, and we may try to come along. Linda, I'll talk to the bros about Upper Castle on Saturday.Happy Paddling
Ok. Darren & I are meeting at the Hwy 507 bridge between 9-9:15 am on July 1. Then we'll set up a shuttle to Castle falls from there. I'm camping Friday night (Beaver Mines overflow campsite). But I will leave after our Saturday run. I'd like to paddle the Oldman Gap run again, that's really fun. Oh well, maybe next time. Best wishes,Linda
Hi,Don't know if anyone is interested.But I'm heading out to Fernie July 8-9th to paddle the Bull and Elk.We can carpool out or meet each other at the bridge at the Bull (25 km's from Galloway Mill). There will be 3-6 of us.Best wishes,Linda403-383-7457
Post a Comment